Hello and welcome to Pizza Week, Day 1! First, a quick note. My last entry said that this would start tomorrow (May 11), BUT when I was writing this and as it was uploading, it was still May 9 so, yeah. Here you go!
Now, surprisingly enough, I found a recipe for pizza dough courtesy of http://www.youtube.com/user/yellowsaffron
I have yet to actually try this recipe myself, but I’m just passing it along to help you all out. And don’t worry, once I actually do this recipe, I’ll let you know how it went. Now, on with the show!
Pizza Dough (makes 4 – 5 pizzas)
- 6 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons each of Sugar and Salt
- 1 3/4 oz (2 packages) of active dry Yeast
- 10 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 2 Large Mixing bowls
- Measuring Spoons
- Small bowl for the Yeast
- Wake up the yeast. Put the yeast and sugar into the small bowl. Add 1/2 cup of water and stir until dissolved. Let sit until it looks foamy (that’s the yeast giving off CO2 as they munch on the sugar)
- Put the flour into the large bowl and add the salt, olive oil, yeast/sugar mixture and the rest of the water (go SLOW with the water). Mix thoroughly.
- When the dough comes together, turn it out onto a floured work surface and knead until it becomes smooth (about 5 – 10 minutes)
- Once that’s done, put the dough into the other mixing bowl that has been floured. Cover the dough with a tea towel and let it rest in a warm, dark place until it has doubled in size (minimum 2 hours)
- When you’re ready to make the pizza, take a quarter of your dough and knead and shape it into the classic circle shape or any shape you wish, for that matter! Now, speaking of the pizza…
Cheesy Chicken Pizza
- The Bechamel Sauce recipe as first seen in my Four Cheese Mac & Cheese recipe (basic flour and butter roux mixed with 2 cups of whole milk. cook until thick)
- 2 Cups of shredded or crumbled Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 of your pizza dough OR one store-bought pizza crust
- 2 cups of leftover roast chicken
- Pizza Pan (a flat, aluminum pan with perforations in the bottom to allow heat in. it makes for a really crispy crust)
- Small pot for making the Bechamel Sauce
- Pizza Cutter
- Preheat your over to 450-degrees
- Shape your fresh pizza dough into a disk that fits the pizza pan (10 – 12 inches). If you’re using the store-bought crust, just put it on the pizza pan and move on 😛
- When your Bechamel Sauce is thick, add 1 cup of the Mozzarella Cheese and whisk until it’s dissolved.
- Add the sauce to the pizza dough. Add the chicken.
- Add the rest of the cheese
- Put the whole thing in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Divide and serve!
Day one is complete! Stay tuned for day two tomorrow! I hope you enjoy!